Monday 28 October 2013

Trim Healthy Mama {Review}

I have a confession to make.  I started hearing all about Trim Healthy Mama on Facebook, my friends in the home education support group I attend and on Pinterest in the middle of last year.  I finally read Gwen's review and took the plunge, I purchased THM in January and when it arrived it sat on my bedside table for six months (this is my biggest regret... to think I could have been eating on plan for the last ten months and reached my weight goal by Christmas !?!)

I liked them on FB and read the testimony of an older lady whose health had been turned around and I shared that with my Mom and gave her my copy of the book. She has many health issues and has struggled to loose weight for the last few years, in fact she has steadily gained weight... Slowly slowly she has tried and applied the principles.  The weight numbers started going in the right direction and the inches are falling off of her. One day I noticed that she looked different and finally asked and her reply 8 kg (17.6 pounds) with THM! I was shocked. Now I knew I couldn't ignore my own weight/health issues any longer I needed this book too...

I so badly wanted to try what she was doing so I contacted THM to see if they had any review copies available.  Within hours they had responded and blessed me with a pdf copy of The Trim Healthy Mama.  I have put it onto my Galaxy Tab 2 but was finding it slow reading on there.  Thankfully this week a friend explained to me how to email it to my Kindle.  So much easier to read.

About the book
To be honest I have not finished reading this book.  It's 600 pages of information. I'm a fast reader but this stuff is paradigm changing and I find I need to re-read in order to grasp some concepts.  It's not hard it's just loads of information shared in a conversational tone. Pearl and Serene share their journey honestly and openly and are not afraid to say when they have a difference of opinion or experience in a certain area. 

I'm a tactile book girl so I took my pdf and printed the recipe section and had it spiral bound at our local stationary store.  I chose to print them single sided so that I would have the blank sides to write up my tweaks and the new recipes that I find over on {Trim Healthy Tuesday} a weekly blog hop where many Trim Healthy Mama's are sharing their creations.

I am in the process of saving to purchase a paperback version of the book in order to use tabs for easy reference as suggested by Gwen's Trim Healthy Mama Quick Start Guide.  I will be keeping it on my Kindle for easy portability and am pleased that I will have both the digital and paperback versions.

Our Experience
I am not a fan of coconut.  Period.  I really struggled with the concept of using so much coconut based products.  My mother wisely came over with some bread in a mug for lunch and needless to say the rest is history.  It was delicious and oh so very satisfying.  She made one batch and it was enough for the two of to enjoy.  That was all I needed in order to pluck up the courage to purchase ingredients and start my journey. I have made this for Paul and he is super impressed with how satisfying it is to eat.  He thought he would get hungry and have to eat but was pleasantly surprised that he did not.  I gave him bacon and eggs on bread in a mug. 

I then tried my hand at cheese cake.  Next time I will make this with more stevia. I served him this for breakfast with cream and berries.  Neither of us were hungry all morning.  He was rather surprised that this was diet food (and sceptical until I told how much weight I had lost in the first week ...) !

We are still in the early stages of using THM and I will write a follow up post after I get my head around the method. Now let me think there is something about S meals, FP meals, E meals and cross overs.  Once I get all this untangled in my head I will share more.  It's not difficult it's just a new way of classifying your food in order not to create a weight gaining environment in your body.

I was a sceptical because I was under the impression that I would be constantly counting carbs, points or something but I was encouraged to  “Never include large amounts of both fats and carbs in the same meal unless you are trying to gain or maintain weight. In other words, don’t tandem fuel.” Page 64  and "We don't want you doing a bunch of carb counting , which only leads to needless obsessions and detracts from happiness." I am pleased to say that the THM have done this work for you already by labelling the meals in the the recipe section with the letters S, FP and E.  I just haven't quiet understood how to use them yet.


I purchased
Australian THM products
  • Coconut oil
  • Flax meal
  • Almond meal
  • Cocoa
  • Coconut
  • Baking powder
  • Vanilla Essence
  • Happy Cow Cheese (full and reduced fat)
  • Barley wraps
  • Coconut cream
  • Onion flakes
  • Eggs
My grocery cupboard is being transformed.  My cravings are diminishing.  I used to crave chocolate and thought I would miss it.  The truth is I'm not.  Yes I do love chocolate but I don't have this driving urge to purchase and eat it all the time since I started THM.

Some people complain that it's expensive.  We are on a very tight budget.  There is no room to sneeze.  Yes some things are expensive and I will need to save for two or three paydays in order to purchase them but having said that the ingredients last because they are not things you need to stock up on every week.  So all I am doing is purchasing one to two items to add to my cupboard a fortnight and that is completely doable.

My numbers
  • Week 1 - 1.3 kg (2.87 pounds)
  • Week 2 - 1.4 kg (3.08 pounds)
  • Week 3
  • Week 4
I have a very long way to go but this will be a good journey.  I know that I am not going to be hungry and am not going to spend hours counting calories, points, carbs etc. I am going to enjoy becoming a Trim Healthy Mama! I will update here over the next few weeks with my numbers as I use the plan more and more foods as well as share some recipe's.

Some tasty easy recipes to try
What some others have said

Resources
Buy the Book
Connect with THM
I just want to say thank you so much to Serene and Pearl for giving me this opportunity to shout out for your book and blessing our family.  For my readers I would love to encourage you to save up and purchase this book it is well worth it's investment.  It is a book full of helpful information, an abundant recipe section and tons of encouragement.  It is not full of difficult jargon and is a book that will transform your life and your body whether you have lots to loose or a little, whether you are pregnant or breast feeding or just needing to get healthy this book is for you. You can use all the recipes and start at any point.

Be blessed and I look forward to reading your experiences with Trim Healthy Mama.
Blessings
Chareen 


6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that you are enjoying THM! Actually I knew you were liking it as I can see your enthusiasm throughout your FB posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too. I'm looking forward to being a little more courageous and trying some new things and finding more products. I think Coles has realized there is a new method of eating as they are stocking more products all the time

      Delete
  2. Hiya Chareen :)

    Great post. I am glad you are on this journey with us. I tried the cheese cake last night after you told me about it, and i really liked it. Even had some for breakfast :)

    Derek who doesn't really like chessecake said it wasn't as sweet as he thought it would be and enjoyed it.

    I'm so excited for you. I still read the book and re-read it. Like you said its not that its complicated but there is a heap of information that for me takes a while to sink in.

    You will pick up the S, E, FP and crossovers pretty easy and you are doing so well.

    Raelz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Raelz

      I will be adding more stevia to my cheesecake on wednesday when I make it.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this excellent review and the links Chareen. There is also another private Facebook group Allergen Free Trim Healthy Mama, which is helpful for those of us who want to reap the benefits of THM, but are having to tweak it to fit our food allergies and intolerances. https://www.facebook.com/groups/495900470451999/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link. I will add it to the list :) I think I will join you there. I have a friend who is allergic to a few things but not on FB so I will need to take a read and share with her

      Delete

I love to hear from you so please leave your comments below ♥