Wednesday 25 July 2012

TT - Australian Story (An Illustrated Timeline)

 Welcome to Tuesdays Treasures.  I started these posts as a way of sharing great books in honour of my friend in New Zealand who would arrive with the treasures she had unearthed at her weekly trip to the library!

There are so many wonderful books out there hiding on shelves so I invite you to blog about a book on your shelf, one you're reading or one you found at the library and add your post to Learning All the Time Favourite Resource Link Up



This week ...

An Illustrated Timeline
by Tania McCartney



I am super impressed with this book!  Being an immigrant I am always on the lookout for great books on Australian History. This book has made a great impression on me.

It's a visual timeline. It has a beautiful balance of photographs, snippets of information and drawings.

The books starts from creation on page two and the formation of the continants moving to the human history of Australia starting with the Indigenous Australians tell stories of the Dreamtime (Creation). The next double spread page starts with the 1600 AD and moves gradually through history to 2010 with Julia Gillard becoming Australia's first female Prime Minister and Mary MacKillop.

Here is a sneak peak to see what it looks like inside:


 
What the Author says: "One of my biggest aims in writing Australian Story was a far-flung idea that I wanted to make history ‘cool’ for school kids. Most kids would look at the subject of history and not in any way, shape or form, associate it with ‘cool’. I know I didn’t when I was a kid, so yes, my cool-seeking goal was certainly a big one." - Tania McCartney

Blessings






What others are saying:
Buy this book

2 comments:

  1. An interesting sounding book. Very up to the minute too. I will go back now and check out some of the other reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it does look interesting. Nice.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please leave your comments below ♥