Tuesday 13 September 2011

Tuesday's Treasures 1-11 Little Britches Series

Little Britches
Format: Paperback
Number of Pages: 260
Vendor: University Of Nebraska Press
Publication Date: 1991
ISBN: 0803281781
ISBN-13: 9780803281783



IF I was only allowed to purchase one series of books for boys to read this would be the one I would choose. Cost wise they are a little more expensive but well worth the price.

The Ralph Moody Collection has been one of the most amazing journey's we have undertaken as a family.  My older two roses would sit waiting at the window for daddy to come home and when he arrived would race out to the car begging "Daddy PLEASE read to us!"

 In fact I suffered a sever lack of self control during this series of books and hid away from the children with one of the books reading to find out what would happen when my daughter found me red handed in the act and said "Mommy that's NOT fair!!!"  I can only use one word to describe this series and it's :BRILLIANT

My Father is an avid reader of historical non fiction borrowed these and enjoyed them.

Paul said he really enjoyed the sense of adventure and old fashioned simplicity of the books.

Other Books in the Series:

Man of the Family
Format: Paperback
Number of Pages: 272
Vendor: University Of Nebraska Press
Publication Date: 1993
Dimensions: 8 X 5.25 (inches)
ISBN: 0803281951
ISBN-13: 9780803281950

Mary Emma & Company
Format: Paperback
Number of Pages: 235
Vendor: University Of Nebraska Press
Publication Date: 1994
Dimensions: 8 X 5 1/4 (inches)
ISBN: 0803282117
ISBN-13: 9780803282117

Fields of Home
Format: Paperback
Number of Pages: 335
Vendor: University Of Nebraska Press
Publication Date: 1993
Dimensions: 8 X 5.25 (inches)
ISBN: 0803281943
ISBN-13: 9780803281943

Shaking the Nickel Bush
Format: Paperback
Number of Pages: 236
Vendor: University Of Nebraska Press
Publication Date: 1994
Dimensions: 8 X 5 1/4 (inches)
ISBN: 0803282184
ISBN-13: 9780803282186

The Dry Divide
Format: Paperback
Number of Pages: 230
Vendor: University Of Nebraska Press
Publication Date: 1994
Dimensions: 8 X 5.25 X .5 (inches)
ISBN: 0803282168
ISBN-13: 9780803282162

Horse of a Different Color
Format: Paperback
Number of Pages: 272
Vendor: University Of Nebraska Press
Publication Date: 1994
Dimensions: 8 X 5.25 (inches)
ISBN: 0803282176
ISBN-13: 9780803282179

The Home Ranch
Format: Paperback
Number of Pages: 279
Vendor: University Of Nebraska Press
Publication Date: 1994
Dimensions: 8 X 5.25 (inches)
ISBN: 0803282109
ISBN-13: 9780803282100

Sonlight sell this as a Six Volume Set of books or  Eight Volume Set of Books.

One word of warning about the series is that some of the books contain colourful language.   I took a friends advice and simply took to the books with a dark texta and erased them.

These books are Mr Moody's memories of growing up in the early part of the 20th Century.  They illustrate amazing character and fortitude and the ability to get up again and again regardless of circumstances.

I can't remember the order in which to read these books.  When I am able to access my collection I will update this post with the order in which to read this series. I am really looking forward to when Sir N is around 12 years old to reading these out loud together.

Do you have any series of books that have stood out among your library ?

Blessings

6 comments:

  1. I always get excited when I hear recommendations for great books series, especially when it's boys' books:) And, guess what, Chareen - I discovered there's a Kindle version of these books and I just downloaded Kindle onto my iPad, yesterday! Though, I'm not sure how blanking out colorful language with a texta would work on the iPad...

    The Narnia books and Lord of the Rings have been popular with our children, and the girls have enjoyed series like Anne of Green Gables, Pollyanna, Little Women, Jane Austen's books, etc.

    Thanks for sharing some of your favorites, Chareen:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome Vicky.

    The colourful language is not in all the books and only happens on occasion. It's not as colourful as today's society as it's set in the late 1890's and early 1900 years.

    Seven of the books go one after the other and one of them slots into the middle of the third or fourth book. He sort of took a chapter and expanded the happenings.

    I know the first book is Little Britches and the second book is Man of the Family.

    My daughter (and son) really enjoeyed the Elsie Dinsmore series. I will post on that next week Tuesday. Looking through the books your girls enjoyed they will definately enjoy this series. We read about 12 of the 20 something books. I have the original series. I don't really like the new simplified series it looses its depth and quality.

    Would love to hear how reading on the kindle goes? I love the feel of a real book so have been wondering what it's like reading on an ipad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard good thing about this series but we've never read any of them. My daughter has loved some of the ones Vicky mentioned above, including Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, and Chronicles of Narnia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved Chronicles of Narnia those books are some of our favourites

      Delete
  4. We love these books! I'm currently reading them aloud for the third time (once to my siblings some 25 years ago, to my family 10 years ago, and now again) and loving them just as much as the first time. Emma, lotsofhelpers.com (I can't change the name on the comment from my daughter's name)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please leave your comments below ♥