Tuesday 19 July 2011

Tuesdays Treasures (Vol 1-7)

Carry on Mr Bowditch

I have been thinking about the hundreds of books I have read over the years with my older two and wondered which one stood out to me the most and to be honest there were a few but I always seem to come back to this one as it fascinated me so much.  The thing that intrigues me is that this mans work is still used today in the shipping industry and keeps all our sailors safe on the open waters of our oceans (The American Practical Navigator also known as The Sailors Bible was written by him). I so enjoyed this read aloud from Sonlight that I took out our encyclopedia to research him and all it had was a few lines with a reference to this book as the definitive work on the man.



 Details:
  • Author: Jean Lee Latham
  • Illustrator: John O'Hara Cosgrave II
  • Date Written: 1955
  • Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Company Boston
  • Current Pub. Date: 2003
  • Pages: 256
  • Dimensions: 21.5 cm x 14.5 cm x 2 cm.
  • Edition: illustrated
  • Language: English
  • ISBN: 978086020864-8
  • Awarded the JOHN NEWBERRY MEDAL in 1956

Which is your favourite read aloud historical novel  and why ?

2 comments:

  1. We haven't gotten far into SL yet (on Core B with our 2nd and 3rd graders), but I happened to read Naya Nuki, and I really enjoyed it. I read a lot when I was young, but it was always fad books. While i'm sad that I missed them when I was young, I am happy now that I get to share them with our children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Julie. Welcome to my blog. I am looking forward to my next core with Sir N. I am just waiting for my core upgrade manual and then we will start. I look forward to sharing our Sonlight journey here.

    One of the biggest benefits of Sonlight was the twaddle free books that I enjoyed along with my children.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please leave your comments below ♥